Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Govt. OSS Policy v2

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Govt. OSS Policy v2
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:19:02 +0100

Martin Wheeler wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Alex Hudson wrote:

 There are some interesting new
features of this policy, but I'm not sure how much I can say about it -
I've been told we cannot redistribute the redraft.

That's interesting -- because in the document itself, the only text
referring to restriction in distribution says:

+++

  (c) Crown copyright 2004

  The text in this document may be reproduced free of charge in any
  format or media without requiring specific permission. This is
  subject to the material not being used in a derogatory manner or
  in a misleading context. The source of the material must be
  acknowledged as Crown copyright and the title of the document must
  be included when being reproduced as part of another publication
  or service.

+++

Even the usual anally retentive civil servant shouldn't be able to misconstrue that one!
(Oops. Was that derogatory?)

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

This is standard on any public government document (including the legislative statures at the HMSO webpage). In some way it does not make any sense to me, because it means that I can not send somebody a certain statute that they can get from the HMSO website the same way I can do it. What is the point of this excercise ?

Maybe we have to go back to the origins of copyright law in the UK. It did not intent to protect the author's right, but was a way to limit the access to Gutenberg printing machines to people that were not publishing anything that would be against the Crown. Maybe they think the distribution of government documents including their statutes are so damaging to the government that this must be denied by copyright law ;-)

Ralph Janke