Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Govt. OSS Policy v2

From: Martin Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Govt. OSS Policy v2
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:32:40 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Ralph Janke wrote:

it does not make any sense to me, because it means that I can not send somebody a certain statute that they can get from the HMSO website the same way I can do it.

Huh?  How do you make that out?

The text is quite clear -- you can send anyone you like >>the text<< of the document; with the proviso that you do not place it in a 'misleading' or 'derogatory' context (weasel words to make a lawyer's fortune if ever there were any).

Where you might be on slippery ground is if you distribute the text formatted in someone else's proprietary format (e.g .pdf). But distributing the whole text in ASCII appears to be perfectly feasible in my understanding.

Cheers,
address@hidden                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/