Re: [Fsfe-uk] 'creative industries' launch

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] 'creative industries' launch
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:10:13 +0100

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 22:54 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> I'd guess that it's too late. Even if it weren't too late, I'd also say we'd
> need a respected organisation on our side to join, i.e. I doubt they'd take
> in the AFFS ;-) On the other hand, we might find some way into a member
> organisation, The Digital Content Forum: "Full membership of DCF is open to
> trade associations and representative bodies with a vested interest in the
> digital content sector."

I'm not sure either of this organisations are particularly relevant to
AFFS - we generally don't concern ourselves with digital rights on data
except where it affects the users of free software (the two do overlap,
but I would think this would be much more the domain of UKCDR).

> No doubt we will find ourselves wanting to react to decisions and statements
> they make, so a large part of it will be tackling their arguments. We could
> then push a positive agenda of meeting the challenges of the digital
> environment with innovative licensing schemes. In other words, push things
> like Free Software, the BBC's Creative Archive and Creative Commons as
> answers not altogether opposed to, but rather complementing "traditional"
> schemes.

I doubt very much this group will be making huge amounts of noise:
looking at the make-up, it seems they are much more a network group and
will be much more about informal chats and behind-the-scenes pressure.

Since they used the key phrase 'Creative Industries', they won't be
interested in software or any other technology, although I daresay the
Creative Commons people should almost certainly have a look at it.

Cheers,

Alex.