Re: [Fsfe-uk] Govt: WiFi does not now infringe Bromcom patent

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Govt: WiFi does not now infringe Bromcom patent
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:43:01 +0100

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 23:35, James Heald wrote:
> The Government has issued new guidance on the Bromcom patent.
>
> Although claim 7 of the patent was upheld (regarding use of Bromcom's
> wireless protocol), the Government is advising that WiFi does not
> infringe, regardless of the software package.

Which basically wins the case because no-one in their right mind would
want to use BromCom's protocol to transfer administrative information
wirelessly in a school.

There is a free software application written in PHP running on Apache,
Linux and MySQL at www.dialsolutions.com/register. Try User name Guest
and password sandwell. The only thing it lacks is data transfer to SIMS,
the monopoly admin package. I guess now the patent is out the way quite
a number of applications for this will spring up. Patents encouraging
innovation? I don't think so.

Regards,
--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>