Re: [Fsfe-uk] 'creative industries' launch

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] 'creative industries' launch
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:02:39 +0100

On 2004-07-20 22:54:18 +0100 Tom Chance <address@hidden> wrote:

[...] On the other hand, we might find some way into a member organisation, The Digital Content Forum: "Full membership of DCF is open to trade associations and representative bodies with a vested interest in the digital content sector."

Is this worth doing, or will it lead to us being seen as "co-opted by the IP policers"? Do you know how CDR view this?

[...] push a positive agenda of meeting the challenges of the digital environment with innovative licensing schemes. In other words, push things like Free Software, the BBC's Creative Archive and Creative Commons as answers not altogether opposed to, but rather complementing "traditional" schemes.

What do people think?

Good general idea, but be careful. While we could all agree on Free Software being wonderful, the others have dangers for promoting them yet. While CC licences like the CC-GPL are clearly fine, I think the most popular CC BY and BY-SA licences have small problems with them and are also often applied incorrectly.

The BBC Creative Archive is still being formed and we don't know what shape it will take, so don't promote it too strongly until decisions are taken. Even our friends don't argue for free software as much as I expected, so free software supporters need to comment in reply to invitations and consultations about the archive. I'd appreciate hearing about any opportunities to do this, as I'm not a particularly keen BBC watcher (as the cycling is on Eurosport... oh wait, that's not what I meant).

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast