Re: [Fsfe-uk] Govt: WiFi does not now infringe Bromcom patent

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Govt: WiFi does not now infringe Bromcom patent
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:48:49 +0100

James Heald wrote:

The Government has issued new guidance on the Bromcom patent.

Although claim 7 of the patent was upheld (regarding use of Bromcom's wireless protocol), the Government is advising that WiFi does not infringe, regardless of the software package.

See word file at
http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/tools/ims/patent/

Unfortunately, they do not go into details, however I have come to the same conclusion. In studying claim 7 that

1) It is more closely a CSMA/CD (Collision Detection) than CSMA/CA (Collision Avoidance) protocol 2) It has a very specific structure with the central node allowing "free" spaces for the slaves to send 3) There is a very specific topology described around a central node using almost like a hub-star topology 4) Claim 7 only regards attendance data for the collision protocol, no other data is of concern.

In constrast especially when 802.11 is used, I see it very far streched that this could infringe claim 7.

1) 802.11 uses CSMA/CA (Collision Avoidance) which does not seem to fit claim 7 2) In most cases there wouldn't be a central node itself, since the W_Lan is part of the network, not really part of the server 3) There are often total differences in topologies.If i.e someone wants to use W_LAN solely to bridge the network to buildings that aren't connected with cable to the main network, it would be a total different topology than described in claim 7. 4) Most application will have a lot more non-attendance data using the channel than attendance data. None of this data is in any way mentioned in claim 7. How would claim 7 help to stop collisions between such data?

However, saying this, I still do not understand how claim 7 can be upheld in the first place. As more as I look at it, it should be thrown out because of lack of novelty, since it basically describes a 10Base2 protocol. without using a cable. 10Base2 existed already at the time of the patent application, and the protocol itself did not limit itself to a cable. Mostly in such days it the protocols would be described in from of a data channel which can be a lot of things.

Ralph Janke