Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: An ignorant question?

From: Paul
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: An ignorant question?
Date: 08 Jun 2003 22:29:14 +0100

Hi,

> Doing courses with DHTML and Javascript doesn't fly at all,
> unfortunately - it's incredibly unreliable, and unusable for multimedia
> (sadly I have a lot of commercial experience in this area - multimedia
> learning, that is).

dHTML offers a lot, but takes even more. Have a look at
http://www.reelnorth.co.uk and you'll see some neat dHTML. It's useful,
but not everything supports it. Don't visit that site if you're using
Opera 7.11 as it messes up. Konqueror shudders and runs off crying. (I
am aware of the broken links in the JS, it'll be fixed tomorrow - I'm
doing enough unpaid work as it stands!)

Now, we come onto other browser issues with not just dHTML but other
things. Fire up netscape/moz and have a look
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/MMP/ it looks fantastic - all through
the site it looks good. Now look at it through IE. Looks acceptable, but
not as nice. Bits of the style sheets are ignored and it's left to go
badly wrong.

The original new version used dHTML extensively for a number of things
and I ditched them in favour for the CSS approach, but that seems to be
failing as well.

Upshot, you're trapped between a rock and a hard place. I'm waiting to
see how animated SVGs work out. Flash is easy to do, but evil.

TTFN

Paul

--
The world is throwing away oppressive regimes
Which don't allow people to choose.