Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explaining GPL to a Windows user

From: Paul
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explaining GPL to a Windows user
Date: 08 Jun 2003 22:23:41 +0100

Hi,

> > Now, this has started me thinking. Have we been aiming the argument too
> > high? Windows machines invaded schools (and killed Acorn in the process)
> > down to governors using Windows boxes at home
>
> More likely using Windows boxes at work and being told "its what they
> will use when they leave school"

Nope. According to an old mate who used to be the chair of govenors, it
was definately the way I described it. You're giving too much credit
here as well - a lot of companies didn't (and still don't) understand
how technology moves, so saying it would be what they will use when the
leave school may not have been the case.

> > Convince the smaller computer companies to give two prices for their
> > machines - the real price and then the price after adding on the 80 or
> > so quid for Windows
>
> Bit like ex VAT :-).

Yes. That really used to annoy me. I'd have enough money for the next
RISC OS box only to see those horrid 5 letters hidden somewhere which
meant I could no longer afford it.

> Getting small companies to install Linux at all is
> not that easy. At some point the Linux PC will start to sell mail order
> in big numbers.

I think pointing them at the way Lindows has brought in a fair profit to
Walmart may help, but showing the economics behind it will help.

> Snag is getting the timing right. Some have tried and
> failed to get sufficient business to justify the advertising costs.

I know.

> Advertising in the PC Mags is very expensive and if it goes wrong it
> could bring down a small company.

This is why getting the likes of Redhat, Ximian, IBM, SuSE and plenty of
others together would really help. It would be the same as M$ do it, the
companies behind the OS doing the advertising. Having HP saying that all
of their stuff is being done on good safe software from one of the
distro companies would also help. It would be daft to think any one
small company would be able to bring in a profit for the outlay,
however, if they already advertise in (say) Computer Shopper having an
extra line in saying that the machines cost 500 with Linux preinstalled
or 600 with XP would certainly help (esp. if they explain the 100 quid
is what others invisably cover up with the cost)

> We could build a decent quality basic GNU Linux PC which would be fine
> for Office, web browsing and similar apps for about £300 ex VAT. The big
> question is whether or not we could sell a few hundred in order to
> justify the advertising costs.

Well, there might be an order for 20 or so from Salford Uni - if you
bother to answer the email I sent you last week ;-p Seriously, I can
direct you to the purchasing bods in Manchester if you fancy tendering
for being a computer supplier.

Oh dear - I'm helping a primarily open source company out... (there is
an on-running joke about this over a company in Tyldesley I do a lot of
work with)

> Maybe if several small companies clubbed together to share the
> advertising costs it would cut the risk down. Not easy to arrange
> though.

Definately. However, a 100 quid chip in may be a simpler way to go.

> and provide support for them in use by clueless individuals ;-)

Do what PC Worm do and charge a quid a minute for "free" support.

> My heart wants to do something like this in the run up to
> Xmas but my head is saying hang on a bit you can't afford it if it
> doesn't work!

Which is definately a factor which can't be ignored.

<snip thin layer clients>

This is a primary school full of early 50 year old women who don't know
that sticking inkjet paper through a laser printer can seriously screw
it here - the machines have to be self-standing and when they go wrong,
easy to sort out. Fine for junior and senior schools, but not for
infants.

> > A target needs to be identified, not just a general "aim for", but a
> > specific target.
>
> I agree with that, focus and specifics are important. As many GNU/Linux
> desktops out there as possible for people to ogle.

Definately. Pitch the linux expo is usually such a dire affair as well -
it would be a great point to focus on. This is what I really do remember
M$ did well. The PC shows I used to go to (this is back when WordPerfect
for Windows was being released!!!!) were fabulous affairs. Lots to see,
lots to do. The last Linux one I went to was a mittens and anorak
affair.

TTFN

Paul

--
The world is throwing away oppressive regimes
Which don't allow people to choose.