Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:46:45 +0100

Andrew Atkinson wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden Behalf Of Ciaran
O'Riordan
Sent: 06 June 2003 20:40
To: address@hidden

What format of class are you planning?

If you're going to stand at the top of the class with one
screen, I'd suggest a presentation tool such as OpenOffice Impress.

If each student has a computer, you could write some html/php or
javascript pages and your students would just use a browser
(such as mozilla/Galeon).

If neither of these suggestions are useful, email a slightly longer
description of your plan, I'm sure free software can do it :) (better)

Ciaran O'Riordan

I am just at the start of the process and therefore am still playing with
everything. Yes it will include delivery from the front, but I want a system
that is really interactive, and adapts to the kids. I cannot remember the
last time I stuck to a lesson plan for a whole lesson. At any point you need
to be ready to go off down the line that the pupils take you. This can
include refreshing things to approaching a topic from a completely different
angle (this is what makes teaching exciting). So while OoImpress has its
place it is not ideal for maths.
What I have as the grand ultimate plan is a system where you can flow with
the pupils ideas.
Is this not all to do with business logic and the like.
If I am correct Macromedia's solutions for such backends are increasingly being shunned by developers who plug on freely distibutable products application servers like JBoss. (I hope someone else who knows more aboout this can pick up from here if there is sense in what I write)

Why set the outside requirements (Macromedia Flash) and then try to look inwards?
Should it not be the otheway around for 'grand plans' ?

For capable frontends how about (ex) Gimp ToolKit (GTK) or many similar healthy competitors?

Years ago on the Acorn I wrote a simple program to allow
the user to put different shapes in front of a waves and therefore allowing
the user to see the refraction patterns and play with them. I could
(possibly) still sit down and do this again. This is not what education
needs. Most teachers cannot (and should not have the need to) program
scripts. I am looking to produce or find a tool that will allow teachers to
develop their own interactive lessons, that during the lesson pupils can
experiment with, staff can adapt, and then it can be put on the web so the
pupils can use it latter for homework or revision. There are lots of steps
to get to the ultimate end, but I am having difficulty starting. At the
moment Flash is the closest I have found.
I hope you are right that free software can do it better 8-)

Andrew