Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Phil Driscoll
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:45:20 +0100

On Saturday 07 June 2003 12:31 am, ian wrote:

> I think there is a serious issue here. Animating graphics quickly and
> simply is a very useful thing to do in education. On the Acorn platform
> programs such as Tween and Mogul showed the way (I used them to animate
> some graphics for Johnny Ball Reveals all for Central TV). What is the
> free software equivalent of flash?

It is SVG (http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8), a most excellent W3C
standard for an xml vector graphics file format which takes over where the
Acorn drawfile left off, and can be 'animated' using javascript. The only
downside is lack of browser support. AFAIK on the Adobe proprietary SVG
plugin does a decent job of rendering the files.

Sodipodi is well on the way to being a great editor/creator of svg files, and
OOo Draw can export in SVG format.
--
Phil Driscoll