Re: M$ Word -- Bad (was:Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit)

From: Mark Preston
Subject: Re: M$ Word -- Bad (was:Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:09:37 +0100

I also did not know of RTF until a free software advocate told me about it.
RTF (Rich Text Format) is Microsoft Word's text format. It is intended as an
interchange format to transfer documents between different programs. In some
ways it is similar to HTML. It uses syntax and keywords rather than binary
data to convey formatting information. It is therefore relatively human
readable and unlike .doc files which rely on binary data to convey
information. Equivalent RTF files are smaller and less likely to contain
hidden viruses when compared to .doc files, and more programs can read them
compared to .doc files. Be aware though that opening a
complex RTF file in older versions of Word or different word processors will
often lead to unexpected results. Each new version of Word introduces new
keywords to RTF, so older implementations will usually ignore controls they
do not understand or have not implemented.
In summary HTML would have to be regarded as preferable to RTF as a way
forward to enable transfer of  information from .doc files around the
internet. However, sending RTF attachments would have to be regarded as
preferable to sending .doc attachments with emails etc.

--
Regards,
Mark Preston