M$ Word -- Bad (was:Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit)

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: M$ Word -- Bad (was:Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:21:54 +0100

[...] it came
in MSWord 2000 format, as do most documents from the government. This is one
of the first problems to solve.

Seconded. I am sure everyone on the list agrees.

Infact I now hold the opinion that any sensible software related group should have a campaign against this insanity or they are not to be taken seriously.

M$ Word signifies everything in a nutshell.

If people cannot understand why they should use RTF instead of word we should really tell them that they need some basic education without being shy about it. I did not know of RTF for a very long time until a free software advocate told me about it.

There is already something at GNU.org on this.
Shall we have a page for this or even a simple link? Please?
(I will volunteer if the needs be ...)

Realy simple matters go a long way.

Most teachers will be sent electronic media
in MS format by the gov so they expect every machine to treat it as native.
I know other programs do coupe with this but it is not always seamless or
successful.

This is the case everywhere.
Reagards,

Ramanan