Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:30:05 -0000

Andrew, you do not attribute quotes, so I cannot tell for sure what I
wrote.  I'll just answer bits I have clear ideas about.

Andrew Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
>>No, the right result could be that the licence fees are calculated
>>based on machines using the licensed code, rather than just on number
> I agree that this is the right result, but I cannot see it happening.

That tells you more about the monopoly position than it does about the
justness of the complaint.

[...]
> The rest of the software producers have reduced the cost to schools, without
> the ridiculous clause of having to licence all machines

How has MS requiring licence purchase for all machines on a site caused
this?  I don't see the link at all, other than by MS having already
claimed a huge chunk of school IT budgets, leaving less for competitors,
in a clear unfair practice.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."