[Fsfe-uk] OFT visit

From: ian
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit
Date: 04 Jun 2003 15:42:40 +0100

Just to let everyone know I have recently been interviewed at the OFT in
the MS Schools Agreement case. I was pleasantly surprised by a very
youthful interview panel (showing my age now ;-) ) who seemed to
understand the issues well. They had heard of GNU/Linux but hadn't seen
it so I gave them a quick demo on my laptop of OO.org running on KDE 3.1
Gave them an OO.org disc and said they could copy it to every machine in
the department. Then offered to send them some Knoppix discs to try out
and they were very keen. Explained all about software patents and how if
allowed, they would be getting inundated with fair trading complaints.
So a very good day for education I think. Its usually very difficult to
get to these people so if nothing else that was a benefit of starting
the action.

--
ian <address@hidden>