Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:03:01 +0100

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:13:40PM +0100, Andrew Atkinson wrote:
> Nothing to do
> with the fact schools have to licence all 586 type machines and above
> whatever they run.

Did you bring this up with the OFT? What argument does MS use to justify this
bizarre "someone else's hardware licensing" scheme?

> (This is also one mistake: OFT asks for Macs, 286,386,486
> or Pentium, and a curious category called workstation. So where do I put
> celeron and AMD etc)

Celeron's and AMDs would both be Pentium-class, as they are instruction-level
compatible with Pentiums (IIRC).
--
Robin

"It doesn't make sense. How would you transfer the product but not have the
copyright attached?"
-- Darl McBride, SCO CE on the contract SCO signed with Novell (which "doesn't
make sense"!)

Governments do not exist to provide lucrative contracts for proprietary software
developers.