RE: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit

From: Andrew Atkinson
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] OFT visit
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 20:13:40 +0100

Just been filling out the OFT forms. As well as a couple of obvious
mistakes, showing they do not understand computers, I am wondering if they
are investigating the right thing. All the result can be is that M$ removes
the school agreement making schools pay the corporate rate. Nothing to do
with the fact schools have to licence all 586 type machines and above
whatever they run. (This is also one mistake: OFT asks for Macs, 286,386,486
or Pentium, and a curious category called workstation. So where do I put
celeron and AMD etc) Anyway as far as I can see this will do only a small
amount of good for free software and tonnes of damage to schools. One thing
the M$ school agreement has done is show companies the value of getting
software into schools and most have followed suit with lowering the prices.
As a teacher I feel that it is my job to show what is out there and try to
give an unbiased view of the advantages and disadvantages (at times this is
very hard)

Andrew