Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:10:54 -0800

Around 13 o'clock on Feb 13, David Turner wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> We have several reasons to use macros for inclusion:

I guess the hard part is requiring portability to an 8.3 environment; I
didn't know people still used DOS instead of Windows...

I would suggest that people could probably live with a fixed include file
heirarchy from a single root though; certainly other projects use that.

But, I probably don't understand all of the environments you expect
Freetype to live in, and once the flexibility is provided, I'm sure people
are taking advantage of it...

What I did learn is that 'makedepend' can deal with

        #define FT_BUILD_H              <freetype/ftbuild.h>
        #include FT_BUILD_H

but not

        #define FT_ERRORS_H            FT_PUBLIC_FILE(fterrors.h)
        #include FT_ERRORS_H

But, it doesn't seem like even this form will be as flexible as the
current scheme.

Unless you're willing to fix the relative location of the header files, I
don't see any way to change the header files to allow 'makedepend' to work
reliably.

Hacks that depend on well-behaved comments in header files are an
interesting possibility, but I'd rather leave dependencies out of
Makefiles rather than resort to such.

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.