Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:13:54 -0800

Around 8 o'clock on Feb 8, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> The bottom line is that the way we would like to have it doesn't work
> because we must face the reality of many, many `ANSI compilers' which
> aren't ANSI at all regarding cpp but severely broken.  We will
> eventually have
>
>   #include FT_BUILD_H
>
> etc., the only portable macro expansion in #include lines, collecting
> the `#define FT_BUILD_H <string>' somewhere which can be configured if
> necessary.

This is the form which my tools complain about; I guess I fail to
understand why the header files are expected to be restructured so much
that a -I compile line can't direct a fixed #include statement to the
correct file.

If there is some instance where the above construction is indeed needed,
then I suggest the form:

#ifdef FT_BUILD_H
#include FT_BUILD_H
#else
#include <freetype/config/ftbuild.h>
#endif

would solve this problem while still accommodating more primitive tools.

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.