Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] #include hacks in freetype headers
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:39:19 +0100

Hello,

> I guess the hard part is requiring portability to an 8.3 environment; I
> didn't know people still used DOS instead of Windows...

Some do it in the embedded market, while others still use Windows 3.1
in certain environments (hi Antoine :-). Isn't also the VMS filename
convention rather "funky" ??

> I would suggest that people could probably live with a fixed include file
> heirarchy from a single root though; certainly other projects use that.

Frankly, I don't know of a lot of other projects of this size that try
to be as portable as FreeType (granted its a lot easier when you don't
need to access the hardware directly) :-)

> But, I probably don't understand all of the environments you expect
> Freetype to live in, and once the flexibility is provided, I'm sure people
> are taking advantage of it...

They are, and they're complaining when it's not flexible enough..
grump..

> What I did learn is that 'makedepend' can deal with
>
>         #define FT_BUILD_H              <freetype/ftbuild.h>
>         #include FT_BUILD_H
>
> but not
>
>         #define FT_ERRORS_H            FT_PUBLIC_FILE(fterrors.h)
>         #include FT_ERRORS_H
>
> But, it doesn't seem like even this form will be as flexible as the
> current scheme.

But the first form is what you have in the current FT2 sources
(the FT_PUBLIC_FILE(..) thing was dropped a long time now). Do you
still have problems with it ??

> Unless you're willing to fix the relative location of the header files, I
> don't see any way to change the header files to allow 'makedepend' to work
> reliably.
>
> Hacks that depend on well-behaved comments in header files are an
> interesting possibility, but I'd rather leave dependencies out of
> Makefiles rather than resort to such.

What about using a simple script to sed the header files in the version
of FreeType you'd like to include within XFree86 ? I really don't see
why this would be a problem given that you're including the whole FT2
sources, you're allowed to make such a simple change easily..

Another simpler way is to build your own version of <ft2build.h> which
would #include all other public files for you in standard fashion to let
"makedepend" do its works as you want it..

Regards,

- David

ObNote: I'm currently using Jam/MR (see
http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html)
        to build the FT2 sources. Jam does implement automatic #include
        scanning, but adding header dependencies by hand really isn't
        much of a problem..