Re: [fluid-dev] Small CPU stuttering fluidsynth

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Small CPU stuttering fluidsynth
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:40:41 +0100

On 2011-01-27 23:04, Carma Trepp wrote:
Thank you for your support. I`m fighting right now compiling FS with
all the dependencies. Solved many. Now I have to find pkg-config.

On 2011-01-27 00:02, Carma Trepp wrote:

Hi Element

Thank you for your answer. I checked the device specifications from
the ARM Cortex A8. And it have two Floating Point Units, a
non-pipelined VFP-lite conforming to the IEEE754 standard for floating
point arithmetic and a pipelined SIMD NEON coprocessor. Source:
http://www.pandorawiki.org/Floating_Point_Optimization
Its interesting that fluidsynth use CPU at 34% when nothing plays. The
CPU itself is powerful. It runs PSX and N64 Emulation at fullspeed.

Interesting. I think the 34% might be due to the reverb and/or chorus
engines still running although nothing plays. Assuming you're running Linux
on this device, can you provide perf output?

As for 1.0.8, that's pretty ancient, please try upgrading to 1.1.2. Also, if

That should have been 1.1.3, which is the latest version.

Btw, on x86, what takes the most time is the interpolation, so you could try changing the interpolation method - this is a trade-off between CPU and sound quality though.

Also increasing the buffer sizes can help in some cases. Unless you need low latency, I recommend a buffer size of e g 4096 or 8192 instead of the default of 64.

Some people have also suggested lowering the sample rate.