Re: [fluid-dev] Small CPU stuttering fluidsynth

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Small CPU stuttering fluidsynth
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:49:07 -0800

Hello Tashi,

My guess is that your device does not have a floating point unit (FPU).  FluidSynth makes heavy use of floating point math, so your device is probably emulating all the instructions, which is very very slow.  There has been talk from time to time on implementing integer based (fixed point or otherwise) in FluidSynth, but motivation is rather low in that area, since FPU-less devices are the only real benefit of that, its a lot of work and another embedded system with an FPU could simply be chosen for those types of use cases.

Best regards,
Element