Re: [fluid-dev] Small CPU stuttering fluidsynth

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Small CPU stuttering fluidsynth
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:40:14 +0100

On 2011-01-27 00:02, Carma Trepp wrote:
Hi Element

Thank you for your answer. I checked the device specifications from
the ARM Cortex A8. And it have two Floating Point Units, a
non-pipelined VFP-lite conforming to the IEEE754 standard for floating
point arithmetic and a pipelined SIMD NEON coprocessor. Source:
http://www.pandorawiki.org/Floating_Point_Optimization
Its interesting that fluidsynth use CPU at 34% when nothing plays. The
CPU itself is powerful. It runs PSX and N64 Emulation at fullspeed.

Interesting. I think the 34% might be due to the reverb and/or chorus engines still running although nothing plays. Assuming you're running Linux on this device, can you provide perf output?

As for 1.0.8, that's pretty ancient, please try upgrading to 1.1.2. Also, if your gcc version is just as old, that might make a difference. IIRC gcc-4.6 has better arm optimizations.

Please let us know how you progress!

Thanks,