Re: [fluid-dev] Propose changes for drum channels support

From: Chris Moeller
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Propose changes for drum channels support
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 01:35:06 -0800

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM, jimmy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anyone deals with any funky GS drum stuff, which these new changes may
> affect?  We will need your help to test your GS stuff (to make sure they
> aren't broken) if these new changes made it into FluidSynth.

My foo_midi component deals with GS drum stuff. Basically, it has to
intercept two different types of system exclusive messages. One may be
present to remap which part numbers correspond with which channels.
The current part to channel map is initialized from a default set on
reset. The second message identifies whether a given part (not
channel) is a drum part. I catch these messages, then enable an
internal is_drum_channel flag for any given channel. Then, whenever
there's a program change on such a channel, I force send the hard
coded drum bank number before the program change.

I also catch bank numbers for GM2 drum banks, which are 15360, or 120
in the MSB. GM2 also supports forcing melodic channels with 15488, or
121 MSB.