fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Connecting to a remote host through an ssh gateway

From: Matt Colyer
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Connecting to a remote host through an ssh gateway
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:53:53 -0800

Christian Vest Hansen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM, David Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to use Fabric to deploy some software to a server that is
>> sitting in a DMZ, behind an ssh gateway. That is, I have to first ssh
>> into the gateway, then from there I can ssh into the production
>> machine. I have no direct access to the production ssh.
>>
>> I've already configured my local ssh with the following:
>>
>> Host prod.example.com
>> ProxyCommand ssh gate.example.com nc -w 1 prod.example.com 22
>>
>> This configuration, provided that my ssh keys are on both machines,
>> enables me to transparently `ssh prod.example.com`. I was expecting
>> that Fabric would simply reuse this, and have no trouble connecting to
>> the remote machine. Sadly, it seems that Paramiko does not honor
>> OpenSSH's configuration file, and so the connection fails. This is
>> with an easy_installed 0.0.9.
>>
>> Is there a way to specify gateway hopping to Fabric explicitely?
>>

> There is no direct support for ssh gateways in fabric, if paramiko
> does not provide this transparently.

I have been sitting on some patches to get this to work. It is necessary
to both patch paramiko and fabric to get it to work but I use it on a
daily basis (and would love to see it integrated).

I attempted to get my patch accepted into paramiko but I didn't get a
single response when I posted it to their list. The project doesn't seem
to be too alive these days.

-Matt