fab-user

[Fab-user] Connecting to a remote host through an ssh gateway

From: David Anderson
Subject: [Fab-user] Connecting to a remote host through an ssh gateway
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:51:07 +0100

Hi all,

I'd like to use Fabric to deploy some software to a server that is
sitting in a DMZ, behind an ssh gateway. That is, I have to first ssh
into the gateway, then from there I can ssh into the production
machine. I have no direct access to the production ssh.

I've already configured my local ssh with the following:

Host prod.example.com
ProxyCommand ssh gate.example.com nc -w 1 prod.example.com 22

This configuration, provided that my ssh keys are on both machines,
enables me to transparently `ssh prod.example.com`. I was expecting
that Fabric would simply reuse this, and have no trouble connecting to
the remote machine. Sadly, it seems that Paramiko does not honor
OpenSSH's configuration file, and so the connection fails. This is
with an easy_installed 0.0.9.

Is there a way to specify gateway hopping to Fabric explicitely?
Failing that, does 0.1.0 somehow improve on this situation? Failing
all of that, is there any way I can get what I need short of
establishing a localhost:2222 tunnel on the side before running
Fabric?

Cheers,
- Dave