[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-insert-task-at-point?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-insert-task-at-point?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:39:18 +0900

address@hidden writes:

>   Yvonne> You could create a page called UnplannedTasks or something
>   Paul> This sounds like a GREAT idea!  I don't know why I didn't
>   Paul> think of it :)
> Hmmm, now that I think about it, it might make more sense to keep the
> unplanned tasks on my daily page, and the planned stuff in a
> PlannedProjects Page, since I'm more apt to deal with an unplanned
> thing than a planned one on a daily basis.

I use the default TaskPool for things like that.

> The other problem is that I often link Notes to Tasks, and the Notes
> are cross-linked to a relevent Plan page.  Having a separate page for
> tasks (whether planned or unplanned) makes it difficult to keep track
> of notes, since now I have 3 locations where the note may show up:
> The (un)planned page, daily page, and plan page.

It would be very nice indeed to have some way of associating tasks with
notes. Perhaps we can do something funky with task IDs and grep?

> I'm leaning more toward wanting to have the 'daily' and 'Long term'
> tasks section instead, since it seems more manual to do it the other
> way.  Hmmm, is there no good answer to this dilemma? :)

I use cyclic tasks to remind me to work on long-term projects. The tasks
are of the form

#A0 _ Work on PlannerModeMaintenance

and are not actually associated with the PlannerModeMaintenance page so
that I don't get a huge page of duplicates.

When reminded to work on a project, I go to the connected page and C-c
C-c the task I want to work on. Then I complete it as normal.
Actually, most of the time, I finish the task first, then schedule it
for today. ;) This allows me to keep track of when I finished
something. If I want to keep scratch notes on a task, I put it on my
plan page as plain text. If it's something I want people to notice on
my blog, then I use M-x remember to type it in, and I associate it
with the plan page.

This works for me. <grin> Hope it helps!

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun