Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?

From: Yvonne Thomson
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:43:58 +1000

At Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:45:35 -0400,
pll+ew  wrote:

> So I decided to try and just insert a task everytime I got
> interrupted, or acted on something which required immediate attention.
> That led me to try and break up my * Tasks section thusly:
>
>   * Tasks
>
>   ** Daily Stuff
>
>   ** Long Term stuff
>
> However, when doing that, I noticed that planner-create-task-from-buffer
> (C-c C-t) inserts a task under * Tasks, not where the cursor/point currently
> is.  I can definitely see why you'd want that, but I'm willing to deal with
> the effort to place point where I want the task to end up :)
>
> So, is there a variable I can set which just create a task wherever
> point happens to be when I call planner-create-task-* ?

The simple answer to this is, no. <grin>. that's not the one you're
looking for though, so I'll be a bit more
specific. Planner-create-task and planner-create-task-from-buffer for
that matter, does all that stuff using
planner-create-task-from-info. It's the function that decides where
the task gets put, and by default it just jumps to the * Tasks section
decides whether to put the task at the beginning or the end of that
section and inserts it.

> Another solution might be to change the behavior of the
> planner-create-task-* functions such that either:
>
>  - planner recognizes sub-sections of * Tasks and
>    planner-create-task-* solicits a section name from you when you
>    create a task
>
> or
>
>  - as long as your in a specific section of * Tasks,
>    planner-create-task-* will place the task appropriately within
>    that section (dependant upon the value of planner-add-task-at-end-flag?)

The second one of those, if either, sounds more likely than the
first. In the meantime, I'll throw out a couple of suggestions. You
could, perish the thought, enter those tasks manually. I  mean, if
you're going to go to the trouble of stopping what you're doing,
switching the the daily page, and jumping to that section, you could
just enter the task by hand. Particularly if you're not linking to any
other plan pages, this could be farely painless.
#A0  _ Temporary task goes here.

This could be a bit of a headache if you're using planner-id, though.

You could create a page called UnplannedTasks or something along those
lines, and simply assign anything that isn't a longterm  planned task
to that. you could even create pages for specific categories of those
sorts of tasks so you could get some record of the *sorts* of unplanned
tasks you're getting. For example, UnplannedTechSupport
UnplannedEmergency UnplannedConfigChange? Not very good examples, but
you get the idea.

Let me know if any of this helps at all.