Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:42:04 -0400

In a message dated: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:43:58 +1000
Yvonne Thomson said:

>> So, is there a variable I can set which just create a task wherever
>> point happens to be when I call planner-create-task-* ?
>>
>The simple answer to this is, no. <grin>. that's not the one you're
>looking for though, so I'll be a bit more specific.

You're right, it's not the answer I was looking for.  So, rather than
be more specific, could you provide me with what I want ;)
(just kidding :)

>Planner-create-task and planner-create-task-from-buffer for
>that matter, does all that stuff using
>planner-create-task-from-info. It's the function that decides where
>the task gets put, and by default it just jumps to the * Tasks section
>decides whether to put the task at the beginning or the end of that
>section and inserts it.

By deault it does this.  But couldn't there be a 'planner-create-task-at-point'
flag which it 'planner-create-task-from-info' obeyed?  This seems, on
the surface, to make sense, since it already obeys the
'planner-create-task-at-end' flag.

>The second one of those, if either, sounds more likely than the
>first. In the meantime, I'll throw out a couple of suggestions. You
>could, perish the thought, enter those tasks manually. I  mean, if
>you're going to go to the trouble of stopping what you're doing,
>switching the the daily page, and jumping to that section, you could
>just enter the task by hand. Particularly if you're not linking to any
>other plan pages, this could be farely painless.

I do sometimes link to other plan pages, however...

>You could create a page called UnplannedTasks or something along those
>lines, and simply assign anything that isn't a longterm  planned task
>to that. you could even create pages for specific categories of those
>sorts of tasks so you could get some record of the *sorts* of unplanned
>tasks you're getting. For example, UnplannedTechSupport
>UnplannedEmergency UnplannedConfigChange? Not very good examples, but
>you get the idea.

This sounds like a GREAT idea!  I don't know why I didn't think of it :)

>Let me know if any of this helps at all.

Yep, that last suggestion sounds almost perfect.  Now, I just need a
way of tracking the date the item was created/completed without
linking it into the tasks of the daily pages.  But I'll try this out
and see how it works.

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE