Re: [emacs-bidi] visual-mode, LyX

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] visual-mode, LyX
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:53:07 +0200

> From: Naoto Takahashi <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:55:59 +0900 (JST)
>
> > Unfortunately, as long as Emacs doesn't switch to Unicode as its
> > internal encoding, Unicode-based fonts are not a good alternative.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention.  We will also provide scripts that extract
> necessary characters from Unicode and rearrange them to make ISO
> 8859-* (or whatever) character sets.

In that case, I'm happy.  Thanks!

> Switching to Unicode-based internal encoding is being discussed,
> although no concrete decision has been made, AFAIK.

Actually, the decision to switch to Unicode was made several years ago
(around the release of Emacs 20.2 or 20.3).  That decision included a
detailed design of the Unicode-based encoding that Emacs would use.
Interested individuals can read the discussions in the archives of the
emacs-unicode mailing list.  (Warning: you will need a strong stomach
to endure some of the flame wars there!).

Despite that decision, no actual work has been done until now.
However, lately Handa-san started working on the infrastructure that
is required for this switch.  So Emacs is finally actually moving
towards this goal.  But the way is still a long one, and I'd expect a
few more versions of Emacs that are not based on Unicode.