Re: [emacs-bidi] visual-mode, LyX

From: Dekel Tsur
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] visual-mode, LyX
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:02:42 +0200

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 01:00:28PM +0200, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> > I'm not sure what are you suggesting.  If you mean that we should copy
> > the display code from LyX, I'd doubt if it will fit into Emacs (but
> > I'll certainly look, unless someone who knows can describe it).
>
> I'm not sure, but I think that most of the bidi work is being done by
> (La)Tex  using TeX-XeT???
>
> Dekel, do you have anything to add?

LyX has bidi code for displaying the document on screen. When you print the
document, it uses latex, so the bidi engine of LaTeX is used.
The bidi code of LyX, like the bidi of LaTeX, assumes explicit markup
of the direction changes. For bidi Emacs you need implicit bidi code,
and therefore, the LyX code may not be useful.
You should probably use fribidi (and maybe pango).