Re: [emacs-bidi] visual-mode, LyX

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] visual-mode, LyX
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:49:16 +0200 (IST)

On 24 Jan 2001, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What does supporting MS ttf fonts give us that we cannot have otherwise?
>
> Supporting *scalable* good-looking gratis Hebrew fonts.  I don't know of
> any good-looking, free, scalable Hebrew fonts.  Any combination of three
> propertied, but never four of them.
>
> Of course supporting ttf format (I think it originated from Apple) is a
> good thing unrelated to Hebrew.

The Intlfonts 1.2 distribution comes with Type1 and TrueType ISO-8859-[1-5]
fonts (they are from Yannis Haralambous, so they must be good ;-).
However, ISO-8859-8 is not yet part of that distribution.  You can get
Intlfonts 1.2 from the GNU FTP site.

I think Emacs can use these fonts right now.

Handa-san, do you happen to know if there's a newer Intlfonts
distribution somewhere which includes more ttf fonts?

Also, this reminds me: wasn't Emacs 21 supposed to come with ps-type1.el?