Re: elementary OS

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: elementary OS
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:22:26 +0000

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10 February 2014 16:55, Thom Cherryhomes <thom.cherryhomes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you actually roll up your sleeves, and try to build it?

You can keep your patronising, smug and superior "there is no argument
here".

That kind of patronising, smug and superior behavior as you, Liam, are exhibiting now is precisely the reason why I'm in full support of Gregory's banning smug Flammenwerfer-bearing posters.

We've had this kind of non-productive non-discussions on this mailing list too often in the last few months. People unhappy with GNUstep's direction are welcome to making use of the helpful properties of LGPL, such as the freedoms to run, copy, study and modify. Responding to such an invitation to make use of your liberties with "you're patronising and smug" and at the same time denying active contributors' liberties by demanding they obey your commands is insulting.

If a [potential] user is unhappy that she cannot fix the issue herself (since, for example, she hasn't programmed since 80s), this user should consider hiring someone to fix the specific issues this user encounters. The fact that there are people out there who can compare operating systems for a living makes me genuinely happy; that doesn't mean they should be making demands.

I don't think there is a single person on this mailing list who wouldn't love to have GNUstep usable by an 'average Joe'. I personally have many, many, many ideas on what we can do and how we can make GNUstep more approachable. It doesn't make sense to repeatedly annoy others with what I believe needs to be done until I myself am willing to roll up my sleeves.