Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:40:19 +0200

On 23.06.2003 22:09:49 MJ Ray wrote:
>Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de> wrote:
>>>How does one detach a context menu to make it continuously visible?  I
>>>do that often with submenus when I use them a lot.
>> Why should anyone want this? IMHO you did not understand contextual
menus.

>IMHO you did not understand the context of this question.  I reject the
>assertion that context menus are only has hidden as submenus because
>they cannot be made visible outside their temporary pop-up state.

Why the hell should they be made visible outside their popup state? they
are only valid for a short period of time - that is until you choose one
menuentry to be executed - and assembled only for the object currently
under the mouse. You can see them as a quick round up of the (also
otherwise and scattered) available possibilities for this very object. i
think you are blinded somewhat by wrong implementations of context menus.

>>>Huh?  Surely you have to select it and then activate the menu, else it
>>>would break the concept of "targeted actions"...
>> But you don't have to move the mouse to the menubar/application menus
and
>> navigate through submenus
>
>Regardless, moving to something visible is known to be faster than moving
>to something invisible.  App menus that you use a lot can be made visible
>for longer than a mouse click.

You don't move at all here. Instead of clicking left on an object and
moving to the menu you click right on an object - select it thereby - and
viola: the context menus opens right under your mouse.

Lars