Re: [avr-gcc-list] ElfCoff Error parsing symbol

From: Valéry Florimond \(Thought Technology Ltd\)
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ElfCoff Error parsing symbol
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:12:10 -0400

Dear Flavio,

I use your elftocoff software to be able to use AVR Studio (v4.0) with the
JTAG ICE for debugging my firmware (the target is an atmega128). My firmware
is pretty big, around 32k and elftocoff generates a wrong coff file when the
firmware is big. I tried with a small one and it works fine. In the buggy
coff file, the first 16k part looks fine. But the next 16k seems to be a
copy of this first 16k. I tried to debug your software but unfortunately I
didn't succeed. I don't figure out how it works.
But I localized where the problem is: in the function int convsym (void
*elf,void *coff), in  the loop :

for(i=0;;i++){
    if ((sym = (sym_t *)dirsym (elf,i)) == 0)
   break ;
  if (sym->type > (sizeof (TypeFunc)/sizeof (void (*) ())))
   traperr (&ctx,1) ;
  TypeFunc [sym->type] (&ctx,sym) ;
 }

when the windows function _realloc is called, an user breakpoint occurs.
That happens only if  the elf file is too big ( I do not know what the size
limit is). I hope that can help, it would be very nice if you could find
time to fix that :) !

thanks,

Valery