Re: Let's start over (was: Unifying ac-archive.sf.net and gnu.org)

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Let's start over (was: Unifying ac-archive.sf.net and gnu.org)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:50:09 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
I would like to see the two archives merge as much as any of us, and I
realize that we will never see that happening unless we are able to
compromise. I requested help multiple times, and you have offered help
multiple times. So obviously we have a match.

The first and most difficult step of uniting the SourceForge archive
and the GNU archive is to have a common macro repository. Or, if that
is not feasible for any other reason, to have both repositories
synchronized. Thus, I have reinstalled your CVS commit rights on
Savannah and would ask you to please add the macros that you have and
I do not.

I will do so - at the moment I am not sure about your reorganizations
in the savannah cvs, so allow me to wait a few days. ;-)

Independent of that, we should discuss the future development of both
archives. There are lot's of changes happening on the gnu.org site at
the moment, and I will try to make those changes in a way that does
not break your synchronization mechanism. Furthermore, I would
appreciate your feedback on whether those changes are good, bad, or
could be done better.

For this purpose, I have created a mailing list, to which I invite you
and _everybody_ else, who is interested in contributing to this
project, to subscribe. You can do so at:

Hope to see you there.

I will sure be there.

As for the unification - let me propose the following scheme:

- let us create a mailing list for macro submissions, perhaps
  ac-archive-macros@, that will be put on the webpage(s) to
  be used as the target to send macro submissions to.
- everyone is invited to subscribe and have a look at what is
  coming in, to comment on and discuss things with the
  submitter cc'ing the list (if that is needed at all). I am
  confident that everyone subscribed to autoconf-patches will
  also follow the ac-archive-macros@ list.
- when either of us commits a macro to the cvs repository, then
  it gets noted back on the list. That is also good as to know
  when it is time to update the website(s) or perhaps repackage
  things.
- the submitter does not need to care anymore that there are two
  websites at the moment - interactions happens with one
  counterpart alone, or so it feels atleast ;-)

There are more technical things to discuss but that should really
be on the -maintainers list. Specifically, I have never been
informed about the mode-d'emploi of updating the gnu webpages,
so I was careless committing macros back then - that should not
happen anymore.

so, let's start over, :-)
-- cheers, guido