Re: Macro Archive Relaunch

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Macro Archive Relaunch
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:06:01 -0500

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 15:05, Peter Simons wrote:

[snip]

>     Installed Packages
>         How to I link OpenGL? Where are the header files? And while
>         we're at it ... What is OpenGL?

I'm gonna subvert this reference to OpenGL to an opportunity to jump in
and get some things off my own chest.

I recently submitted to Guido a couple of macros that do OpenGL
detection. I was unaware of the politics involved in the existence of
two ac-archives. I would just like to say: for heaven's sake,
gentlement, work this out. It's ridiculous for two completely separate
ac-archive projects to exist. autoconf has a steep enough learning curve
as it is. The ac-archive should be something that makes new users' lives
easier--not something that baffles them further.

>From my own point of view, there needs to be a single point of
submission. Otherwise, new macros are likely to go to each of you in a
haphazard fashion. I cannot imagine that to be a desirable situtation.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>