Re: Macro Archive Relaunch

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Macro Archive Relaunch
Date: 18 Jan 2003 21:05:41 +0100

Guido Draheim writes:

 > [binding synopsis more closely to description]

Technically, the <synopsis> tag could contain legal XHTML 1.0.
element. I intentionally limited the number of valid tags to make the
format less confusing, but basically the DTD would allow for complete
XHTML a.k.a. HTML 4.01 to be used. Thus, we _could_ support
enumerations, anchors (with references to them), heck, we could even
support JavaScript if we had to. :-)

For the moment my intuition tells me that the XML format should be as
simple as humanly possible. I hope to be able to convince the AutoGen
guys that they adapt their _way_ _cool_ macro generation page to
output XML; then the submitters would most probably not have to bother
with writing XML at all. Many people seem to be reluctant to adopt
this standard. (Which is why I want to keep supporting the "legacy
format".)

As for the new categorization ... Currently we have these:

    C Support
        Properties of the C compiler.

    C++ Support
        Properties of the C++ compiler.

    Java Support
        Properties of the Java Environment.

    Cross Compilation
        Really advanced stuff.

    Installed Packages
        How to I link OpenGL? Where are the header files? And while
        we're at it ... What is OpenGL?

    Miscellaneous
        Catch all

New ones that I would consider to be useful are:

    System Headers
        Tests for the existence of "foobar.h", or whether it defines
        "foo_bar_t" or not, etc.

    System Utilities
        Does the "foo" program support the "--bar" flag? Is it
        installed at all? What version of the Intel C++ compiler do I
        have?

    Build Infrastructure
        Generate a "foobar-config" script, cool Autoconf extensions,
        etc.

Can anyone think of others that would make sense? Would it be better
to merge "System Headers" and "System Utilities" into one great
"System Properties"? Or is that too generic? Would you split the
"System Headers" into "... Typedefs" and "... Structures" like the
Autoconf Manual does?

Comments?