Re: [OT] Guido Draheim vs. Peter Simons (Correction!)

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [OT] Guido Draheim vs. Peter Simons (Correction!)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:26:33 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
I quoted, among others, the following CVS IDs:

 >     $Id: ac_config_libconfig_in.m4,v 1.2 2002/04/19 12:03:00 simons Exp $
 >     $Id: ac_config_libconfig_in.m4,v 1.4 2002/09/12 22:11:52 guidod Exp $

 >     $Id: ac_config_pkgconfig_in.m4,v 1.2 2002/05/06 11:47:30 simons Exp $
 >     $Id: ac_config_pkgconfig_in.m4,v 1.2 2002/09/12 22:11:38 guidod Exp $

 >     $Id: ac_path_lib.m4,v 1.2 2002/04/19 12:03:00 simons Exp $
 >     $Id: ac_path_lib.m4,v 1.3 2002/09/12 22:11:14 guidod Exp $

and upon inspection of the dates concluded:

 > Looks like my archive had _all_ of them before yours did.
 > Conclusion: None of the commits in group (2) were added to your
 > site before they were available on mine.

Unfortunately, the idea to check the older commits came to me only
after I had sent my mail already. Now I did check them, and it turned
out that you committed the new versions (of all of them) on
2002-03-23, and re-committed them when I performed the update.

So, to be fair, I must correct my statement:

 > To summarize: There is ONE CASE where the SourceForge "branch" of
 > the macro archive was more up-to-date than the GNU archive.

In fact, there are two cases (or four, depending on how you count it),
in which your site was more up-to-date.
Sorry.

The re-commit is fairly intentional - the `original directories`
should have been only copies of the ones in the gnu ac-archive,
it did turn out to be always problematic to check-in earlier
than the gnu part since my auto-sync scripts would claim for
an update to be present in the gnu part where there was none -
my scripts only check for a `diff` and when the one in the
sfnet ac-archive was never, wheeww. So, after that I did not
even try to update the `original directories` earlier and just
wait till the updates are there and ready to be copied. The
adl case is an exception herein since I did not wanted to
wait any longer.

The `user directories` (as I call them) are updated independently
however - it has been the intent of the sfnet branch to be
also a playground for experimental stuff that people go about
to delete perhaps but which they want to have packaged. I hand
out cvs access to the sfnet branch quite freely, and the
makesystem is ready to be used by third persons as well,
including uploads to the webserver. Actually, that extra
freedom was not used - my intention thereabout misled perhaps.
As a result, most of the updates in the `user directories`
are just... mine. Ooops. ;-)

-- cheers, guido