Re: [Adonthell-devel] inventory news

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] inventory news
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:57:13 +0200

On 26 Apr 2002 11:42:47 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> We can retrieve the owner by following the inventory link. I think we
> should rather do that way, because otherwise we'd have many character
> pointers to change if, say, an whole inventory is given to someone
> else(and that's the kind of situation where we would FORGET to do it,
> and hang ourselves one week long to find the bug! :))

I'm not sure, but I guess the item-owner and inventory-owner are
different things. If you steal an item for example, it would still
belong to the original owner, no matter how often you put it into a
different inventory.

Also, if a NPC temporarily joins the party, you might redistribute the
items he has, but when he leaves he might take them with him (and leave
your items behind).

That's something we talked about when we discussed NPC's perception of
their surroundings.

> Actually, our items representation via Python classes is just fine.
> Look at this example that just popped out of my tormented mind:

Yeah, I think inheritance like that would work well. We'll see that when
we have a basic item/inventory functionality in place. And it might also
be interesting to model some of the items Nils will come up with
eventually. That way we can easily see whether things are working
properly.