Re: [Adonthell-devel] Returned from hell, and see what I found ...

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Returned from hell, and see what I found ...
Date: 12 Apr 2002 22:56:50 +0200

> The two letters are "b6"
>
> Now it should be obvious, isn't it?
>
> Now that I found the problem, I dimly remember that windows does
> distinguish between binary and text files. As the image is a binary
> file, you must say so, as windows is too stupid to figure it out by
> itself (probably unlike wine, which uses the underlying linux libc). So
> after opening the file in binary mode, the wintest2 app worked and I
> assume that everything else will work as well now. :)

Rhaaaa! All the time spent just for that! Worst is, that I've saw this
several times while browsing zlib.g. "Yeah, yeah, whatever" I thought. I
even put this line in testzlib.c:

    // Might be worth to change "r" to "rb6"

Stupid me!

Don't get the champagne out yet however, as with Wine this changed
nothing. The old DLL still crashed, while the new one still worked. But
Wine can't be considered as reliable for these tests - and as you said,
maybe it's smarter than Windows regarding this. It's probable though,
that the first dll I sent wasn't working, so be sure to check the new
tests with several DLLs if they doesn't work.

> The fix is in CVS. Now you might want to recreate your old test binaries
> with the cross compiler to test them. I didn't want to go through
> getting everything to work with VC. I might try it out with mingw32.

Just did it.
http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/wintest.tgz is the file test
program, which should generate a heavy output log.

http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/wintest2.tgz is the previous test,
drawing a yellow rectangle and then attempting to load an image. If this
one works, we're done! :)

They come with my DLLs (at least, the ones that work with my Wine). If
you get failures Kai, please try with your compiled zlib. Might be worth
too to recompile with your mingw32 (even the stuff that worked with
VC++, have you tried it with mingw32?)

Good luck!
Alex. (crossing fingers)
--