Re: [Adonthell-devel] Partly merging v0.4 back

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Partly merging v0.4 back
Date: 09 Apr 2002 11:46:14 +0200

> Too bad. I checked and it works fine here. Can you post the precise
> error message. What versions of autoconf and automake where you using?
> 2.53 and 1.4 here. (Gotta check if I forgot to commit something ...)

Here's what happen when I run make in the root of my CVS sandbox:

$ make
cd . && autoheader
autoheader2.50: `config.h.in' is unchanged
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/alex/prog/adonthell/adonthell-cvs'
Making all in intl
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/alex/prog/adonthell/adonthell-cvs/intl'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/alex/prog/adonthell/adonthell-cvs/intl'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/alex/prog/adonthell/adonthell-cvs/po'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/config.status', needed by
`Makefile'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/alex/prog/adonthell/adonthell-cvs/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alex/prog/adonthell/adonthell-cvs'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

autoconf is 2.53, automake 1.4-p4. Should be the latest available on
Debian SID - so I'm probably using the same versions as you.

But look at the error:
No rule to make target `/config.status', needed by `Makefile'.

/config.status, eh? Looks like there should be something before. If you
look at po/Makefile, the only place config.status appears is (on my
box):
Makefile: Makefile.in.in $(top_builddir)/config.status POTFILES.in

Obviously, $(top_builddir) is what's missing. It isn't declared anywhere
in the Makefile. If you take another Makefile, like the one in src, you
see that top_builddir is set to the corresponding directory (should be
.. in po's case). And declaring it manually in the Makefile just fix the
problem.

You might want to look whether top_builddir is declared in your
Makefile, and whether it appears in you Makefile.in and Makefile.in.in.
I'm quite surprised it works on your box! :)

Maybe top_builddir should be automatically added by some tool when
Makefile.in is generated from Makefile.in.in. Is it the case on your
box?

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org