ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Policy: Versioning Macros In The Archive

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Policy: Versioning Macros In The Archive
Date: 27 Jan 2005 17:31:06 +0100

Braden McDaniel writes:

 >> So what you are saying is that if I want to have any
 >> internal keywords in the archive, then I have to distribute
 >> the m4 files without them, right?

 > [They] certainly can't be in the submitted and
 > distributed m4 file if they are considered "internal".

Alright!

I consider the following keywords internal to the archive:

  @obsoleted
  @category
  @author
  @version

These are all fields that my software uses internally and
which need to be consistent in order for the whole thing to
work. The only fields that my software does not use (except
when generating the HTML page) are:

  @synopsis
  @summary

Since, according to you, I can't treat any fields as
"internal" as long as I distribute them publicly, I will
stop distributing them. I will move all tags (except the two
above) into a separate, internal database and strip them
from the files in CVS so that everybody is happy.

Peter