web-hurd

Re: hurd and gnumach source code on hurd.gnu.org

From: Ian Duggan
Subject: Re: hurd and gnumach source code on hurd.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:50:41 -0700

> > I just noticed that there is cgi-bin stuff on savannah.gnu.org for
> > browsing the Hurd code that is in CVS.
>
> Right.  All savannah projects, have browseable CVS.  You will notice that
> whenever I refer to files in the source tree on the web page, I link to the
> head version available through CVS.

I see. I thought that this might have been something we did specifically
for the Hurd.

> > Couldn't we install the dynamic
> > cross-reference stuff there and have it mirrored to the normal GNU
> > servers from there somehow?
>
> I think it would be best not to work on a Hurd specific solution here, but
> to offer this service to all Savannah projects.  You want to talk with
> address@hidden, or maybe better with the Savannah admins/authors which
> certainly have a forum for this stuff on savannah.

I will contact the Savannah people to see if they are interested in a
more general solution, but I think it would be nice for us to do this
with just the Hurd as well, at least initially.

Awhile back, someone commented that it would be nice to be able to
browse and refer to a cross-referenced version of the Hurd code. LXR,
and a GNU program were recommended, and LXR was voted as the preferred
alternative. It was pointed out that the GNU mirrors could only use
static HTML. I chimed in that I could write a script to convert a site
from a dynamic version to a prerendered static version. It took awhile,
but I have it working here.

It seems that the web-hurd list has been fairly quiet lately, however.
Who has access to the GNU/Hurd webpages and our materials on Savannah to
install something like this?

I will install an example of it on my own server so that people can see
what we are talking about.

-- Ian

Ian Duggan                    address@hidden
                              http://www.ianduggan.net