web-hurd

Re: hurd and gnumach source code on hurd.gnu.org

From: Ian Duggan
Subject: Re: hurd and gnumach source code on hurd.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:22:43 -0700

> > Unfortunately, the new version of LXR makes use of either MySQL or
> > Postgres. Are either of these available on the Gnu machine which this
> > was destined for long ago?
>
> Unfortunately using anything other than HTMLs on GNU Web site is out of
> question because the site is mirrorred to many places.

The resulting code is plain, static html. It does not require the
database. The database is only needed by the original dynamic site which
is turned into a static site using my script.

The original plan was to find a host (a gnu machine) to host the dynamic
site only to localhost, and to have a script produce the static version
which would then be mirrored.

The docs claim that LXR might still be able to use dbm files. I will
look into that. If MySQL or Postgres is available on the machine with
the script, however, we are already there.

If doing the dynamic site only to localhost turns out to be too much,
then we can always try to use PerlWebserver to isolate the process even
more. I'm just trying to find the easiest path.

> > If this is still useful, what are the next steps?
>
> In my opinion it is useful to have our beautiful code on Web :)

The results look quite good. We just have to massage them into the
servers somehow.

-- Ian

Ian Duggan                    address@hidden
                              http://www.ianduggan.net