viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:33:10 -0400

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Marshall <address@hidden> writes:

Robert> On Fri, Jul 19 2019, "John Stoffel" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Barrett <address@hidden> writes:

Daniel> On July 19, 2019, John Stoffel wrote:
> [...]
Daniel> What specific issues are you encountering?

>> Well... it's a pain visiting IMAP vs plain folders, so now I have two
>> sets of key bindings in message mode:
>>
>> v = visit folder
>> i = visit IMAP folder
>> w = save to IMAP folder
>> s = save to folder
>>
>> which is just clunky.  HTML email is just painful, esp since I like to
>> hit 't' to expose the message headers, but now that's broken for html
>> emails unless I do Shift-d a few times to change the message
>> decoding.

Robert> typing 't' just 'works for me but maybe that's because I'm
Robert> using emacs' shr as a text/html handler? (this seems to work
Robert> well since I added the code in my version)

I think I need to look into this then.  Which version of emacs?  And
how did you set this up?

Robert> On keybindings, I use

Robert>   (define-key vm-mode-map "Vi" 'vm-visit-imap-folder)
Robert>   (define-key vm-mode-map "I" 'vm-save-message-to-imap-folder)

Robert> but i suppose that muddles up vm-visit-imap-folder with the virtual
Robert> commands (which I rarely use), I might try
Robert>     (define-key map "I" vm-mode-imap-map)

Robert> and add a few things from there?

I don't use the V virtual bindings very much either, if at all.

I do love the M mark bindings though, one of the best ways to quickly
filter and find and save emails.

One thought is that maybe it's time to think about either overloading
the regular 's' and 'v' keys to support regular/IMAP folder access
more easily.  But of course it needs to be quick and simple and not
take alot more key strokes.

And of course better integration with bbdb or some other tool to let
you tab-complete addresses would be nice.  I admit I tried using bbdb
a long time ago and didn't care for it, but maybe it's time?

Just even having a way to starting writing a new email and entering
the first few letters and hitting tab to show matches from the
existing folder would be awesome.  No idea how to do it in elisp.

John