tlf-devel

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: TLF-1.4.0 release
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 20:17:41 -0600

Some items to add to your list, Tom.

 - Send Morse via Hamlib for radios that support it.

 - Rework the voice keyer so that Esc could stop the voice keyer.  This
   is another feature that I found in N1MM+ that is welcome.  At the
   moment the voice file is passed to a script so once that happens Tlf
   loses control.  Perhaps even something as simple as getting the PID
   of the script, if possible, and killing it directly.  This may have
   unintended side effects so would require much testing.  Another
   thought is to deliver the file to ALSA or Pulse Audio directly and be
   able to stop playback at will.

 - WISHLIST: Incorporate some method of pull-down menus for
   configuration.  Doing so might encourage more use of Tlf?  I don't
   know if that amount of work would be productive or not.  I'm certain
   it can probably generate a lot of discussion. ;-)

 - WISHLIST: Along with the above, move away from log_cfg.dat and the
   rules files toward configuration through the UI and a common config
   file that doesn't require hand editing.

 - WISHLIST: Rework the curses UI to avoid the 80x25 hard coded screen
   size.  I've looked into this a time or two and doing this won't be
   easy but is probably required for enough screen estate if menus are
   to be implemented.  At the least, more vertical screen space could
   show more log lines or DX spots, for example.

   Given that Tlf is likely to be used on a later distribution under X
   or Wayland with a terminal emulator, an 80x25 limit is a bit
   restrictive.  OTOH, I set up an Xterm such that it is 80x25 with a
   nice big font that works well.  Even modern distributions use a frame
   buffer on the console that is larger than 80x25.

The last three items are "down the road", likely a 2.0 release or even
later.  There is plenty of time for discussion on these.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB