tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Fw: WARC bands

From: Mike Waters
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Fw: WARC bands
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:46:13 -0600

Regardless of whether the displayed score is accurate, please do not completely eliminate it from tlf.

If it is distracting to some, then the score display could be turned off.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

> In general, I agree, but maybe too much effort is being put into
> calculating the score?  I know it is something the contest loggers have
> always done and it seems to be expected, but it seems like the final
> score calculated by the contest sponsor was never the same as that which
> I submitted (that could be a "here" thing, though).  IMO, at best a raw
> score is only good for posting to 3830 and at worst requires a lot of
> coding and debugging effort.  I honestly think that not calculating a
> score in real time relieves much of the complexity of writing an event
> definition (personally, I found the displayed score to be a distraction
> over the years).  A module that parses the log and then does a score
> calculation after the event may have its uses.
>
> That paragraph may have ruffled a few feathers!

Sure, the point calculation isn't an important thing - I mean, it doesn't matter that is it accurate or not. But then why do we write that code, which calculates the points? Only for approximate value? :)