Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on retina screens

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on retina screens
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:47:13 +0100

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:12:58PM +0100, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
> As far as I understand units in the graphics device are logical one. On
> modern mac you always work with resolution independent devices and usual
> resolution is 72 dpi while retina is 144dpi (more or less). To have the right
> font you have to provide me bitmpas glyphs rendered at double resolution then
> I should be able to do the rest and put them onscrenn with standard Qt
> commands. I've been able to tweak TeXmacs myself to do it. How do you change
> the resolution of the bitmapped glyphs?

All fonts include a 'dpi' parameter which only changes the rendering size
without changing any of the other characteristics.  In the current SVN version,
the font_rep class also contains a method 'zoom' which you can use to magnify
a font (the method returns the zoomed font).  Hence, in order to transform
a font which was correctly on a 72dpi screen on a 144dpi retina screen,
just apply a zoom factor 2.0 before rendering.  For better performance,
you may also consider doubling the zoom factor associated to the window
(instead of applying the window zoom and then the retina zoom).

Best wishes, --Joris