indents and noindents and environments

From: Karl Berry
Subject: indents and noindents and environments
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 22:40:33 GMT

Patrice, Gavin,

I've been trying to understand the report wrt @(no)indent before I
change the documentation.  I'll append a test file.

At the moment, my understanding is that
- @noindent is useful to unindent a normal would-be paragraph, as we all know.
- @noindent has no practical use inside environments, in the middle of
paragraphs, or in any other context.  (I pass over the TeX tricks that
can be done with it, not relevant to Texinfo.)

But for @indent, the situation is different.  There's the obvious use of
@indent after a section heading.  That's fine.  But @indent could also
be useful inside environments, which (as noted) have no paragraph
indentation by default.

Right now, in TeX:
- in the line-for-line environments (@display, @example, etc.), @indent
will insert a paragraph indentation.
- In the filled environments (@quotation, @indentedblock) it has no
effect.  I think I should change that to be the same as the
@example-like environments.  It does not seem unreasonable to me to want
quotations to have paragraph indentation, sometimes.

In HTML: using @indent is a no-op.  It has no effect after a section
heading and no effect inside any environments, as far as I can see.  I
think this is fine for HTML, since HTML does not have (any) paragraph
indentation in general, by design.

In Info: @indent after a section heading does indent the paragraph,
which is good, since Info has paragraph indentation.  However, the
special case of @indent inside environments does not happen.  (We
probably never discussed it.)  Seems like in principle that should be
changed to match TeX?  Not that anyone's holding their breath for it.

I didn't check XML and Docbook, but I doubt it matters, whatever
happens.

Wdyt?

Thanks,

\input texinfo
@setfilename indents.info

@node Top
@top Indents

@indent This paragraph after a heading starts with @@indent, so should
be indented.

This second paragraph should indented as usual, so we can see the normal
indent.  Make it go over two lines just for fun.  Plenty more.  More.

@indent This third paragraph starts with explicit @@indent, but should
only have the normal paragraph indentation (not double).

@c --------------------------------------------------------------
Normal environments, no explicit @@indent or @@noindent:

@display
This display is indented as a whole.  Let's make it go over two
lines, with enough text it will happen. (line for line)

Another display ``para'' (but really just another line, after a blank line).
@end display

@indentedblock
This indentedblock is indented as a whole.  Let's make it go over two
lines, with enough text it will happen. (filled normally)

Another indentedblock para.
@end indentedblock

@quotation
This quotation is indented as a whole, on both left and right.  Let's
make it go over two lines, with enough text it will happen. (filled)

Another quotation para.
@end quotation

@c --------------------------------------------------------------
Use @@indent:

@display
@indent This display starts with @@indent.
@end display

@indentedblock
@indent This indentedblock starts with @@indent.

Another indentedblock para without any @@indent.
@end indentedblock

@quotation
@indent This quotation starts with @@indent.

Another quotation para without any @@indent.
@end quotation

@example
@indent This example starts with @@indent.
@end example

@c --------------------------------------------------------------
Use @@noindent:
@display
@noindent This display starts with @@noindent.

Another display ``para'' (really just another line).
@end display

@example
@address@hidden example starts with @@noindent.
@end example

@c --------------------------------------------------------------
Random other:
@defun Fn Args
This defun description is indented like an environment (except less in
HTML, but fine).
@end defun

@table @asis
@item Item
This table entry is indented, make it go over two lines too please.
That means more text, lots more. More and more.
@end table

@bye