Re: indents and noindents and environments

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: indents and noindents and environments
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:39:43 GMT

    @indent within @example doesn't seem very useful.

I don't recall the details, but evidently Werner wanted it (in his TeX
output for groff, I suppose).  (Change of 2008-12-16.)

    if it is encouraged to use @indent for this purpose,

I don't want to "encourage" use of @indent in any environment,
definitely not @example.  I just want to be clear on what we do and
don't want to support.

Like I said, I think it's fine for @indent to be ignored in HTML (in all
cases).

The only reason I think @indent inside environments should be dealt with
in Info is to match the TeX output, for consistency.  Obviously it's not
an urgent matter.  I can just be silent about it in the documentation.

    Reading through the Texinfo manual I'm not sure what the difference is
    between @format and @flushleft,

None, as far as I know.  (Definitely none in texinfo.tex.)
Historical madness.

    but based on the command names it wouldn't make sense for @indent to
    appear in a @flushleft block.

I know what you mean, but I see no reason to take the trouble of
disallowing it.  If someone feels some crazy need to do it, fine ...

Thanks,
Karl